Before, when I went into work every day, I had the opportunity to take the drive home to decompress before transitioning into mommy mode with my kids, but now that work and home are integrated, I find myself not taking a moment to think about going from my work-life to my mom-life since I primarily work from home due to Covid. I noticed my day got busier with work-related activities and my children’s constant interruptions. I miss the time I used to take to transition between work-mode and mom-mode. Whether I made it five minutes or an hour, I must take a moment to pause and enjoy a reprieve between leaving the workday behind and concentrating on my kid’s needs.
Sharing what I do in hopes that helps you too!
1. I sit in my office chair for about five minutes (or more) and let my mind rest. I think about the feeling and emotion I want to create when I engage with my kids.
2. I burn Palo Santo, incense, or a candle and let the smells invite feelings of peace, fun, and a willingness to listen for understanding.
3. I listen to music such as gospel, neo-soul, or sometimes even rock n’ roll to inspire and motivate me to align with my intentions of Love, Fun, and Presence.
4. If I have time, I will take a bath or a shower. I enjoy the healing effects of water, and that moment is not just cleansing for my body but also my mind.
5. I pray with the intention of patience and love. I pray to be present and receive the experiences that I am meant to experience at that moment.